WELCOME to the journey of learning to sew! This course is hosted by the Cromwell Sewing Guild (part of the Combined Arts & Crafts Society), and partially funded by Arts Central.
Limited to 8 students – registration closed.
Please fill out registration form below. Deadline to register/pay is Friday morning, 30 June as patterns must be ordered.
In this 6 week course you will learn to make the above top. We will be working with woven fabrics, no knits or stretch fabrics. First you will learn to measure for your size and then construct a muslin of the top. This will then be altered, if needed, before making the final top. You will need to work with concentration and some areas will need to be finished at home to meet the course time frame.
This course is for beginners+. You must know how your sewing machine works, how to thread your machine and bobbin. How to change needles. You must not be perfect in any of this but you need to know what to do as this will not be taught during the course.
This course is focussed on learning how to sew a top following a pattern. You will be taught the correct way. The tutor feels it is important to understand the whys of doing things. With a good foundation you can sew and alter almost anything you set your mind to. We will be working with woven fabrics (not knits).
So… come along and enter the wonderfully creative world of sewing. Be part of a lovely small group with plenty of individual attention from the tutor, learn to sew, chat and make friends.
COURSE DATES AND FEE:
- Thursdays from 5:30pm – 8:00pm
- Teaching begins at 5:45pm
- Class goes until 7:45pm, then clean up
- Starts 6 July 2023
- 13 July, 20 July, 27 July, 3 August, 17 August
- Costs $50 ($40 for Guild members)
- Limited to 8 students for intensive tutoring
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE FEE:
- Pattern – sizes range from full bust 30″ – 76cm / 51 1/2″ – 155cm
- Printing of pattern
- Printing of guide sheet
- Machine gauge
- All tutoring including any eMail explanations needed
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Understand the basics of sewing and your machine
- Learn what supplies are useful to build your kit
- How to sew straight seams and finish them
- Clip curves and neaten edges
- How to correctly take your measurements
- How to alter the pattern to your correct fit and preferences
- How to cut and pin fabric using a pattern
- How to press and iron
- Attach labels
- And more!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING ON FIRST DAY:
- 1 flat 100% cotton midweight sheet in a light colour (white, light blue, rosa, yellow). Not too thin, no flannelette. Can be found at Sallys.
- Your sewing machine (not an overlocker/serger!). We work only with sewing machines.
- Notebook, pen, paper scissors, pencil, yellow marker.
- Your sewing kit: tape measure, clear ruler, pins with pincushion, hand sewing needles, chalk markers, sewing shears, small sewing scissors, seam ripper, rotary cutter/mat if you use.
- By the end of July you will need to have purchased your final top fabric. This will be discussed well beforehand.